One of the loneliest experience in life is when you get sick, unable to do the normal functions of life and unable to spend happy times with friends and family members. It´s not only you who feels anxious and unhappy, your immediate family members also feel the pain.
I remember being bedridden for over a week when I was a new expat foreign teacher in Thailand due to an appendectomy. I just got my job, was still under provision, was still on a tourist visa and had no family members around. I thought about my new co-teachers, who spent their days doing grind work at school and who´d come back to the housing apartment in the evening complaining how stressful their day was, I would so gladly exchange places with them. I couldn´t wait to recover and be healthy again.
Being physically sick is a kind of suffering that often draws us nearer to God. Although it´s lonely, it also has its good sides — it reminds us of how vulnerable life is and how meaningless all these earthly possessions and accomplishments are which lead us to focus on something more important, our relationship with God.
The Bible contains many encouraging healing scriptures – all about healing the sick – which will strengthen our faith in God´s ability to heal us. Let us remember that while in many cases prayer alone can heal the sick, it´s not in denial of faith to seek advance medical interventions or simple remedial means, whenever necessary, that God has already provided for us.
God´s Ability to Heal
- He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.” ~ Exodus 15:26
- Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, ~ Psalm 103:2-3
- Take care to follow the commandments … and the Lord will take away from you all sickness. ~ Deuteronomy 7:11-15
- And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. ~ Romans 8:11
- But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,’ declares the LORD. ~ Jeremiah 30:17
- I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation. ~ Psalm 91:16
- And ye shall serve the Lord your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and will take sickness away from the midst of thee. ~ Exodus 23:25
Old Testament Experiences of Healing
- When through disobedience Jeroboam´s hand was withered, by what means was it restored?
Then the king said to the man of God, “Intercede with the LORD your God and pray for me that my hand may be restored.” So the man of God interceded with the LORD, and the king’s hand was restored and became as it was before. ~ 1 Kings 13:6
- When Miriam was stricken with Leprosy … So Moses cried out to the Lord, “Please, God, heal her!”
- A child restored to life by Elijah …Then he stretched himself upon the child three times and cried to the Lord, “O Lord my God, let this child’s life[a] come into him again.” And the Lord listened to the voice of Elijah. And the life of the child came into him again, and he revived. ~ 1 Kings 17:21-22
- Hezekiah´s prayer for healing answered.“Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life. ~ Isaiah 38:5
Christ´s Work and Prophecy
- Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. ~ Matthew 4:23
- When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: “He took up our infirmities and bore our diseases.” ~ Matthew 8:16-17
- When the sick woman touched Jesus` garment …
Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”~ Luke 8:48
- Before sending out the twelve, what power did Christ give them?
When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. ~ Luke 9:1-2
- Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. ~ Matthew 10: 1,7,8
- The Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. He told them … “When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is offered to you. Heal the sick who are there and tell them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ Luke 10:1, 9
Healing in Apostolic Times
- Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. ~ Acts 3:6-8
- And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. ~ 1 Corinthians 12:28
Bible Counsel to the Sick
- Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. ~ James 5:14
- And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. ~ James 5:15
- “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” ~ Luke 22:42
- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9
There are times when in spite of our prayers and faith in God´s ability to heal we feel like our prayers aren´t answered. We should remember that physical healing is not always for our own good or for the glory of God. That´s why we must be ready to pray WITH Jesus. Whatever is God´s response to our supplication we must trust in His will. Just like His assurance to Paul, who was denied the removal of his infirmity, God assures us too, “My grace is sufficient for you.”